Saturday, January 13, 2007

My very first blog

Well friends, I gave in. I made a blog. I must say when blogs first came out I wasn't a fan as I thought whatever happened to phone calls? Emails? Letters? However, I have realized that blogs can be fun as I really enjoy reading what's happening in my friends lives so why not share the stories of my life with my friends:) As well, when you end up hanging out with friends who have blogs and they're all talking about their blog stories you feel left out, so here I am conforming and joining the club:)

So i sit here and wonder, what should I write in my very first blog entry? It's my first time so i feel i don't need to be that impressive and maybe in time I can get a blog award:)

This last week has been quite relaxing as the snow has cancelled school. I was supposed to start my new job at Fisher Elementary on Thursday the 11th but now must wait till Tuesday due to the snow and Martin Luther King day. Instead I used my time to prepare my science and math units, as those are the subjects i'm in charge of planning for my job share. I decided that starting teaching with a job share is really a great way to ease into things. So i'm quite excited! I met my students on Jan. 4th as i ended up subbing in the class and they're great. There's definately a few that are a handful, mainly because they come from very unstable homes, but in time things should calm down. When i met the students we had a bit of a "Get to know you," time and of course the first question they asked me was " How old are you?" It was quite funny as one thought i was 32 and when said i looked like i was in high school....kids say the darnest things:)

Another new event in my life is that I have started a hiphop dance class. I am in a non-performing class and figure i need to work on my "funk" before i get onto the stage:) I'm taking it with Katie Schafer, my friend MEgan and Cory. It's been quite fun and hilarious. Heidi Horne (scott horne's wife) is my dance teacher which is quite fun and also it's a Christian dance studio so we only dance to "christian" music. Yes, so that would mean a lot of Mary Mary, Out of Eden and Toby Mac.

We learn a new dance every month and i must say i'm proud of myself as i catch on pretty quick. So i come home and practice, Conor laughs at me, but i know he secretly things it's great:) In fact the four of us, who are taking the class, may enter our church talent show and perform one of our dances. Don't worry i'll let you know when it is as i know you'll all want to come:)

So friends, there's my first entry. Let me know what you think and i'm looking for blogging tips. You girls are good.

4 comments:

Ang said...

I enjoyed it! Four stars! I will now be checking several times a day, so please post again!

Mr. Thorpe said...

ooo my wife....always trying to keep up with the social going ons. Now instead of us talking on the phone, in person or over emails I can check your blog. This will make things very exciting.

I love you and your beautiful.
Conor

Ben S. said...

oh yes -- i cannot wait for the hip hop presentation on the 19th. maybe i'll be inspired to show mine too. haha. of course you catch on quick -- you're a dancer at heart! congrats on the blog! i'm most definitely excited to have another link on my page. ha.

Sharelle said...

hurrah!
i am so pleased..for a number of reasons.
the link on bec's blog that says "NEW! Laura in Lynden".
There is ALL KINDS of alliteration going on there.
the other reason is...it will be great to have you. what i think is great is that we are now sucking people in based on our blog conversations. yikers. oh well, we do what we have to do.
a very sincere and hearty welcome laura....