Thursday, January 18, 2007

Adventures in teaching

Thanks friends for your great comments. You made me feel so welcome to the blog club. Megs, you really should listen to Sharelle and join, and Bec, thanks for putting me on your blog:)

So I'm almost done my first week of my new teaching job. It's been really great! I team taught tuesday and wednesday with my partner to ease into things and then was on my own today and tomorrow. It's so great to finally be with a certain group of students on a regular basis and build relationship with them. Overall I have a really great class. There are a few that vary in behavior each day but they make me laugh. Seriously, kids say the funniest things. I had my students write me letters so i could get to know them better and they could ask me questions in their letter. Here's some of my favorite: "When did you get your ears pierced?" "Does your wife dirtbike?" (he meant husband) "I love listening to my hip hop 2007 CD" ( i really should borrow it:) There are so many more...good times.

I am also learning how to say the pledge of the legence each morning. The first morning it through me off and i stood there, said the first bit with my hand over my chest and then moved my lips to look like i was talking. I know Horrible for a teacher to do. So this is my goal to learn it my the end of the week

There's alot of pressure in the states with the WASL. I don't know if you have heard of it but it's a standardized test that students take starting in third grade. They have to take it in reading and math, therefore i have to have my students prepared by April. It's a huge deal and they evaluate how each class did...we're already starting to prepare. I hate it though cause i feel like there's so much pressure to teach to the test...teacher's out there what are your thoughts? I don't believe in teaching to a test but that's what they're asking me to do....

Until next time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura, came across your blog while I was goofing off at work. I was excited to see our dance class made it into a post!
Just a heads up though... It's the "Pledge of Allegiance" :) Let me know if you need any help memorizing it - we could always work on it over coffee after hip hop.